Thursday, June 21, 2012

Exhaustion & Travel Difficulties (28 Day - Day 2-4)


I’ve been pretty swamped with work the past 3 days—40 hours! But the project was shipped via FedEx and plane last night, so I’m done! It’s out of my hands. No more stressing or worrying because whatever issues there might be wrong with it, I can’t do anything about it. Finis!

I’ve felt extremely run down. Having worked that many hours in the day the last thing I want to do when I get back to my hotel is jump on the computer, so I’ve been very behind on blogging and writing. I’ve put maybe 2-3 sentences in my handwritten journal each day before going to bed. I NEED to write, though. So much to get off my chest and figure out!

While at work, I’ve not drank enough water. I am used to drinking at least 3 of my 34oz bottle…I’ve made it through 1.5 IF that each day while here. They don’t have any decaf tea, so I’ve been drinking this Organic Chai, which is a black tea and has caffeine (not helping energy wise at ALL) and really is just giving me headaches  Not sure why I keep drinking it… Every other kind of tea is black or green tea with “natural flavors”, which is definitely not natural! So, I guess next time I travel I will be prepared more and bring tea! I did bring nuts and fruit for snack items; at least I was partially ready!

Anyway, these past 3 days I’ve felt so off… I have been overly exhausted and not done the normal routine of yoga, stretching, core exercises, etc in the morning, walking in the afternoon, and some form of cardio and weights in the evening. I’ve kept to eating raw (at least to my knowledge) by having fresh (and dried berries) fruit in the morning, salads for lunch and dinner. The only things I’m unsure of are the dressings (Shallot Tarragon Vinaigrette? Cucumber Dill Vinaigrette?). The salads at Mad Greens I’ve been adding avocado, but while it looks and tastes normal in the salad, when I took a piece by itself I could tell it had been in something in order to keep it from browning. The salad place is one of those where you can build your own, adding toppings as you go down the line (like Subway), so I imagine they DO mix the avocado with something to keep its color. It just tasted so gross…and not fresh at all.

I’ve also eaten quite a lot at each mealtime, which is not needed since I’m not doing anything but sitting. My body feels wrong.

Here is some of the interesting and probably TMI tidbits I’ve noticed happening in the last 3 days: 
  1. My armpits smell. SInce eating raw I could put on deodorant in the morning and even after extensive workouts and sweating I would not smell. Now, they smell without doing ANYthing.
  2. I’ve had a lot more gas, which also smells horrid—sorry for the TMI, but I’ve not had this problem!
  3. I’ve had no energy—I realize I’m working a lot and wearing my brain, but 5-6.5 hours of sleep has been okay for me to get up in the morning and be ready to go! I’ve not even been itching to go running.
  4. I craved chocolate for the first time in a month! I knew I had fruit at home on my walk back from dinner, so I wouldn’t have, but I SO wanted to go buy a huge chocolate chip cookie. Instead I stopped at Jamba Juice and made a smoothie with fresh squeezed orange juice and 5 different fruits to curb the sweet tooth. Luckily this was all natural! Though I’m unsure if the fruit was frozen or cut that day.

I’m sure there are more things I’ve noticed, but those jump out at me. Here’s a rundown of my food intake for the past 3 days I’ve not been able to blog:

----------
TUESDAY
Breakfast: Plate of fresh fruit + dried blueberries and cherries (are these natural? I have no idea...)
Snack: Handful of nuts
Lunch: Mad Greens Salad with questionable avocado and Shallot Tarragon Vinaigrette
Snack: Apple
Dinner: Salad from TAG Raw Bar with questionable dressing + vegetable sushi rolls (I ordered via the phone and I’m not sure why the lady though that raw vegan meant sushi rice was okay…but I was hungry and craving it, so I ate it…granted something in this menu didn’t sit well and I had to throw some up—probably the rice!)
Snack: Orange + handful of nuts

----------
WEDNESDAY
Breakfast: Plate of fresh fruit + dried blueberries and cherries
Snack: Handful of nuts
Lunch: Mad Greens Salad with questionable avocado x 2 and Shallot Tarragon Vinaigrette (something didn't settle quite right with this or maybe it was just too much food, but I had to throw up not long after)
Snack: Apple
Dinner: Mashed Cucumber appetizer + Strawberry Salad from TAG Raw Bar (this was not on the menu; the chef made this specifically for me knowing I was raw vegan—it was fabulous and all raw!)
Snack: Medium 5 Berry Smoothie with fresh orange juice from Jamba Juice + handful of nuts

----------
THURSDAY
Breakfast: Plate of fresh fruit + dried blueberries and apricots
Snack: Banana
Lunch: Vegan Ceasar Salad (food truck, no idea what all was in the dressing exactly) with almond parmesan and coconut bacon (pan fried! ugh! it was too salty) + banana, strawberry and blueberry smoothie with chia seeds (made with water)
Snack: Apple + handful nuts
Dinner: Salad from Rioja (when I made reservations I told them I was raw vegan and not to grill the mushrooms; it was really good, but the size of a starter salad) + 5 glasses of Wine (hung out with an old friend and we wandered around getting wine. It was fun, but I didn’t need all the wine!)
Snack: Hotel Salad (this had chicken, muenster cheese, and tortilla strips that I forgot to ask to be removed, plus the red peppers were cooked and the dressing was a creamy something…however, I was so hungry and drunk that I did not care! I definitely regretted it shortly after because none of it stayed down)

----------

All of these things just make me realizing that even though I’m trying to stick to raw (though I guess it’s about 90% with all my question marks and let’s just not count the salad at midnight) something is definitely different and wrong.

I don’t like it.

Is this how it’s going to be when I leave on trips? Will I have this many problems? I can solve the dressing situation by asking for olive oil (though I doubt it's cold pressed) and/or slices of lemon. I can try to do better with stretching and getting walks in, even if I don’t run or do weights. Just MOVING is good. I did great the 3 days I was at my Mom’s! I ran, walked, stretched, did yoga and core training, but I also was making my own fresh foods via the menu I had preplanned and shopped for. Here in Denver I’m eating out and I don’t know what I’m getting most of the time.

After last night I will say I'm slightly disappointed in myself for giving in to so much alcohol and then not having any control or care with food during that time. I've endulged in wine twice on this trip now. I realize both times were hanging out with people I've not seen in years, but I don't NEED to drink to have fun. One would be just fine! I'm not going to beat myself up over it; it's definitely something I need to figure out as to WHY I choose to do it. Why do I feel drinking after a long, hard week and/or getting together with friends is the best way to relax and have fun? It's a silly concept. I'm much happier when I don't.

Luckily the week in Denver is essentially over. With the exception of lunch after hiking on Saturday, tomorrow afternoon is the last day of eating in Denver. I have to make my shopping list for the rest of the weekend so I can grab it on the way up to Mom’s tomorrow. I’m excited to get some movement in Saturday! Hiking! YES! We possibly might go Sunday too, if we aren’t worn out.

I’ve enjoyed my trip (or will now that the long hours and project is over). It’s been a learning experience, for sure. I appreciate that. I now know the difficulties I might face next time (though I don’t foresee such a long stay any other time).

No comments:

Post a Comment