Sunday, July 1, 2012

Hormonal Imbalance (28 Day - Day 14)


I left my kitchen and apartment in a MESS yesterday after doing the fruit kabobs (cutting and skewering took forever!). I should probably get to cleaning! Also want to put together my raw recipe binder I've been collecting for (120 recipes so far! choosingraw.com is a favorite blog :) and there are so many others that I want to go grab from!). 
Since starting the raw journey I've been experiencing one continuous TOM...it's been literally going on for 25 days now. It's driving me crazy is what it's doing. I'm pretty convinced it's a hormonal imbalance, but the funny thing is when you research remedies for such a thing they talk about eating raw...yes, well that's what I'm DOING... hah. I'm wondering if it's an increase in fat as I've been eating a fairly low fat diet the past few years. Now I eat avocado, nuts, oils (though not much of this)...granted I don't think I over do it completely, but maybe it's just enough. I WILL be seeing my doctor soon, but he is not a believer in the raw diet (I asked him his thoughts and he seemed very wary and suggested I see the nutritionist on staff). Unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover Naturopathic Doctors :(   This makes me quite sad. I would love to visit one!
Anyway... after yesterdays pool party I realized that my hormones are indeed off. I wasn't completely convinced that the bleeding was because of hormones and was hoping it wasn't something else, but I was definitely off yesterday. I was immediately cranky to my boyfriend when he showed up. I wasn't as happy-go-lucky with my friends (several commented I was quiet and asked if I was okay)...which might have been because I was sober? I don't know...I definitely was moody. In fact I'm more moody when I'm around people. I'm good by myself! haha... I would love to get a handle on this and figure out what's going on. I'm sure I need to do some blood work in order to see what has changed. I'll eventually get that done, but I want to try some stuff first! I did a lot of research online for healing plants and found Dong Quai, Evening Primrose, and Black Cohosh to be beneficial for hormonal imbalance (mainly Menopause and PMS symptoms).
I went to Sprouts and got their full printouts of information on all 3 and then did some investigating for all natural/organic/vegan kinds. Went with the Dong Quai. I'll see how it goes! Didn't want to get all three since then I wouldn't know which was actually working (or not).
I also spent some time looking at all of their shampoos and face wash for an organic, vegan, and all natural brand. The one I was most impressed with ingredient wise was Aubrey. Hopefully it does all that it says it does! 
I'm extremely glad and excited to be switching all of my day-to-day personal stuff to avoid toxins. 
Breakfast: Orange Juice Banana Blueberry Smoothie -- Really need to eat these oranges! 
Lunch: Cucumber, lettuce, toasted nori wrap with homemade avocado walnut spread -- I put so much stuff in this walnut spread! Originally I was going to make a creamy dressing, but I didn't have the appropriate liquid in there so I made it a spread and spread it on a sheet of nori, then added cucumber and mixed greens. This was the last of the toasted nori, so I look forward to getting raw ones!
Snack: Bowl of Cherries
Dinner: Cucumber rounds with spread -- Knowing that avocado in anything turns nasty, I tried to eat this spread fast! I just put a dollop over half a cucumber. Good stuff!
Snack: Toasted Hemp Seeds -- I dislike that i still have some of these...and they are so tasty...though a little too salty. Out of them soon! I wanted something in my stomach for when I took the vitamins and since it was late, I didn't want to make anything heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment